Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Survivor

I am hanging on to dear life with all the strength that I possess. The last few years have been filled with total uncertainity, a day survived is a day added to my life which if my memory serves me right will be touching 29 shortly. Most of you would think that I am young, in the prime of youth and ready to face any challenge and overcome it with panache. Well things are not like that in my case for I do not belong to the human race where longevity now touches 90 without much effort.
The first 10 years of my life was a total cake walk. I just stood still like a sentinel but for the occasional touch from a visitor. Those days even getting to move me was difficult for not many outsiders knew the secret of handling me. It served me well for I had to only answer to Narayani’s or Dominic’s command and both of them being my pals it was always a pleasure. Then came the year 1995 and with that things started taking a mega turn. I began being handled by more people all of whom were experts when it came to getting me to move. Till then my movements were always inward but now I had to do both the in and outward moves and this at times was not in the best of my interest. But then who am I to complain for I know where I stand in the priority list.
My sedentary life was shaken when a decision was taken to alter my looks. It was decided that I need to look more regal and thus some enhancements were made to me. I have earlier had makeovers with colour and brush but that was always comforting and I used to like the way I smelled immediately after that. But getting into an operation mode was not my idea of beautification. But then as I said earlier, do I have a voice?? And thus men came with equipments and I was fixed with some attachments which I totally loathed. As a result of a brainwave, it was decided that a bit of gold would add to my beauty. Here I am a simpleton and gold was a colour I detested, but there was nothing I could do. Luckily for me, God heard my prayers and the gold was taken away almost immediately. How I heaved a sigh of relief. The last thing I wanted to look was like a Christmas tree. Things moved on quietly, until plans were made to shift me. At this point I thought it was sure death, for this was something totally unheard off. But then I survived and though it was an Herculean task, I was moved a couple of feet forward to make more room for newer and bigger objects.  Although this bothered me a lot, the saving grace was that I was given a roof over my head. Until then I was exposed to the elements and rain or shine made no difference to me.
Life went on in my new surroundings for some time before new changes were thought off.  I could hear talks about how immodest  I was and that it was time to rectify that problem. This I thought was going to be the end of me but luckily it was not to be for I was only covered with enough material and this time they made sure that the colour suited me well. After this mega makeover,  I had begun to think that things would be fine and that I had a permanent place in the scheme of things. But then that was not to be and I realised this when measuring tapes were brought out and the length and breadth of various spaces and objects measured. Within me the panic button was pressed. I thought to myself, here they go again and I wonder what plans they have for me? The moment I lay my eyes on Mr. Sampath, I always wonder if I will be his victim, for he has a terrible weakness for me and is so concerned about my appearance. This time the modifications took the longest but somehow  I wouldn’t call it beautification for whatever was done added to my utitlity value. The end result has made me so unique that I am sure that I am one of a kind. My value has appreciated and I have been the object of demonstration with regard to my uses. The good thing about this is that I have become complicated  and handling me is an art which only a hand full have mastered. This definitely suits me fine.
Now I am sure most of you will understand my concerns. Who wouldn’t feel petrified in my situation? My worry is two pronged, one is ofcourse all the changes that have happened to me and the other is the constant modifications to Sowparnika which have resulted in tons of debris being thrown out. When precious marble and granite have seen the dump, here am I just made of iron.
I am grateful to still be around and I consider myself a great survivor. I can’t take any credit for if I am around, I owe it all to Kumar. With the years my look has changed from being sleek, I have a girth which I must say I am not proud off.

So another precious day is coming to an end and in couple of hours I am off to sleep with the same Yale lock that has guarded me for the last 29 years. Tomorrow is another day and as always it should start at 5.20a.m. with Dominic bringing the milk.

1 comment:

  1. Heard, met, spoke, chat, read and now comment - Good Reading ... Keep on words flow not from pen/key board but from heart - and when it does, eyes catch and feel good . . .

    ReplyDelete